Complete Guide to Cleaning Grillz
How to Clean Gold Grillz
Custom gold grillz have been one of the most popular pieces of jewelry for over 40 years. It was in the 1980s that Gold Grillz became popular originating in New York. Since then, grillz have only grown in popularity year over year and skyrocketed in 2005 when famous rapper Nelly released his hit song “Grillz.”.
If you recently purchased your first set of gold teeth, you are probably wondering, “How to clean gold grillz?” Making sure that your newest investment in gold or diamond dental jewelry is highly critical for you to maintain good oral hygiene, and the process is very simple.
What you Will Need to Clean your Gold Grillz:
- Your Grillz
- A Toothbrush with Soft Bristles
- Warm Water
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Cup or Glass
Steps to Cleaning your Gold Grillz:
1. Remove your set of grillz from your mouth and gently rinse it off with warm water. We recommend using warm water anywhere from 90° - 100° Fahrenheit (About as warm as a bathtub or jacuzzi).
2. Grab a tooth brush with soft bristles and gently scrub your grillz using the warm water. Be sure to try to eliminate any bacteria or germs that you may see on your set of custom gold teeth. You are going to want to make sure you go over the entire surface area of the grillz, especially around the area that is pressed against your teeth.
3. Fill up a cup or glass with Hydrogen Peroxide. The glass only needs to be filled up a couple inches tall, enough for your grillz to be fully submerged.
- Hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic used to help prevent infections when you have minor cuts or scratches on the surface of your skin. It is also frequently used as a form of mouthwash, removing mucus from the mouth and relieving other oral irritations such as canker sores and gingivitis. Hydrogen peroxide releases oxygen, which causes foaming, naturally cleaning the area.
4. Drop your grillz into the glass of hydrogen peroxide. Let your gold teeth sit in the cleaning solution for 3-7 minutes.
5. Remove your grillz from the hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution and wash them off with warm water.
6. Gently use your toothbrush to lightly scrub away any leftover cleaning solution
7. Rinse the grillz off in warm water again
8. Use a soft cloth to gently dry off your grillz. Be sure to take your time and use a clean cloth to avoid tarnishing the surface of the grillz.
We recommend taking the time to polish your grillz using a non-toxic gold cleaning solution. This will provide you with that extra shine you are looking for, similar to hand-waxing a car. Make sure you have your toothbrush with soft bristles and a soft cloth handy for this part. Start by slowly rubbing the gold cleaner on all surfaces of your grillz using the toothbrush. Use your soft cloth to massage the grillz, softly rubbing the cleaning material in a small circular motion. Lastly, rinse your grillz off in warm water and use a soft cloth to dab all remaining water from the set of gold teeth. After this, the process will be complete, and you should be left with a set of grillz looking like they just finished getting professionally polished.
Quick Way to Clean Grillz
If you are looking for a quicker way to clean your grillz, you can use your standard mouthwash. Begin by running your grillz under warm water and using a soft toothbrush to clear away any debris or bacteria. Next, soak your grillz in a cup filled with mouthwash for a minimum of 10 minutes. If you would like, you can stir up the mouthwash a little bit while the grillz are at the bottom soaking. Lastly, take your grillz out of the homemade mouthwash solution and wash them off using more warm water. You should dry them off using a soft and clean cloth to assure you are not adding any new bacteria to your grillz after you have just finished cleaning them.
Tips to Keep Grillz Looking New
- Remove your grillz when you smoke. Tobacco and other harmful smoke can tarnish your grillz in the same way that they can turn your teeth yellow.
- Remove your grillz before you eat any food. Acids from food can tarnish the precious metal used to create your grillz.
- Store your grillz in a safe place. Make sure you do not just throw your grillz in a bag with other objects or jewelry because this could cause the material to get scratched or chipped. Also, do not let it get discombobulated in your pocket or bounce around in your purse when you are not wearing them.
- Put an anti-tarnishing strip in your container with your grillz. This will help you avoid unwanted tarnishing to any gold grillz.
What Happens if you Do Not Clean your Grillz
If you choose to not take care of your grillz, you may be expecting some dental issues in the future. Similar to if you choose not to clean and floss your teeth, by deciding not to clean your grillz, you expose yourself to potential gum disease and cavities. This is because small traces of food and bacteria collect on the interior of your grillz between your teeth and the dental hardware. You can eliminate exposing your teeth to harmful acids and bacterias by practicing good dental hygiene and brushing, flossing, and properly cleaning your grillz on a regular basis.
Benefits of Cleaning Your Grillz
If you decide to purchase a custom set of gold grillz, you are making a costly investment and it will only benefit you to take proper care of them. If you take proper care of your grillz, they should last you for the rest of your life, so long as your teeth do not move or fall out.
For starters, gold naturally tarnishes and loses its shine over time, and this process tends to happen much quicker with grillz than with bracelets and necklaces. This is because acids and bacteria living in your mouth and on your teeth contribute to the overall problem. For this reason, it will greatly benefit you to constantly clean your teeth and grillz before and after each time wearing them. Your dentist will thank you too.
When wearing grillz, you are making a statement: “I have style. I am successful. I have power. I am unique.” There is nothing stylish about having dirty grillz. You are investing a good amount of money to have a set of custom grillz made specifically for you, so be sure to take extra good care of them. Even if you just wash your grillz every time after you wear them and soak them in mouthwash on a regular basis, you will be doing wonders to help keep them looking brand new.
We highly recommend using a non-toxic jewelry cleanser on your grillz to give them that brand-new polished look. You should do this as often as possible, because professionally cleaning your grillz using a non-toxic gold cleaner will only enhance that lovely shine.
Going the extra inch in terms of cleaning your custom grillz as frequently as possible will definitely help protect you against any dental emergencies. By wearing your custom grillz for extremely long periods of time without washing them, your teeth will become a breeding ground for bacteria which can cause bad breath, tooth decay, and inflammation of the gums. Custom gold grillz are a luxury item and they should be treated with care. We highly encourage that you prioritize cleaning your gold grillz so you can preserve your teeth and keep your grillz looking fly!